Joe Shields

Provost names interim VP for research, Graduate College dean

Ohio University Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit appointed Joe Shields as interim vice president for research and dean of the Graduate College.

Shields will replace Rathindra Bose, who will leave at the end of this quarter for a similar position at the University of Houston. Shields currently serves as the chair of OU's physics and astronomy department.

Shields, who is married to Benoit's Chief of Staff Ann Fidler, was chosen over Jenny Hines, a chemistry and biochemistry professor and interim associate dean of the Graduate College, and Sergio Ulloa, a professor in the physics and astronomy department, for the interim position.

"(Benoit) made sure I was completely out of the loop so there was no bias," Fidler said. "Normally I would know what was going on with the search."

Shields is currently working alongside Bose and will formally assume his duties  August 2.

"(Benoit) consulted pretty widely with chairs and directors, with individuals who were in the research unit in the Graduate College, and also with deans," Fidler said. "They were very enthusiastic about the possibility of him serving."

The new chair for the physics and astronomy department will be chosen by Arts and Sciences administrators and has not been named yet, Shields said.

"I have a strong commitment to research and graduate education at Ohio University," Shields said. "I want to make sure that office does an excellent job of supporting and furthering the mission of Ohio University."

rm279109@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus