A Field Guide to Fests

While other universities finish classes and move their students out for the summer, Ohio University students gear up each spring for their favorite time of year — fest season.

The fests are OU’s signature party season (besides Halloween), and droves of students from other universities flood the campus to attend. From High Fest to Number Fest, there are only two prerogatives for students: getting drunk and having a great time.

However, there is an elite group of students who have a third — getting arrested. Whether this prerogative is intended or not, this group of students has mastered the art of getting the attention of the cops for guaranteed cuffs-to-hand contact.

Although there are many more ways to get arrested during fest season, these eight tips will get you and your friends arrested, guaranteed. So if you just want to be safe, responsible, but still have a great time like the majority of OU’s students do, you might want to do the exact opposite of these tips. For you brave souls who want to venture into cops country, rage on.

1. WALK ON THE SIDEWALK OR STREET WITH AN OPEN CONTAINER

(e.g. beer can/bottle, plastic cup with alcohol, etc.). Make it obvious that you are drinking, especially on city property. Once you’re off someone’s lawn, the cops will flock to you

2. START A FIGHT 

Nothing like hitting someone — or multiple people — in the face to get behind bars.

3. BREAK SOMETHING

Smash some windows, throw furniture around; you will for sure get some cops’ attention.

4. CARRY A CASE WHEN YOU ARE UNDER 21 YEARS OLD

You want to look awesome? Walk down the sidewalk with your head held high and a case of Natty in your hand. The police will definitely card you, giving you a one-way ticket to the cruiser.

5. GET SO INTOXICATED THAT YOU CAN’T FUNCTION 

Love getting wasted? Go the extra mile by drinking a few too many and try walking around afterwards. You may not remember getting arrested, but your efforts will help you obtain your goal.

6. HAVE ANY PARAPHERNALIA outside in a cop’s view.

7. DISRESPECT THE COPS

If you’re quick-tempered and quick-witted, yell a few mean things at the cops and they won’t hesitate to get on your case.

8. LIGHT STUFF ON FIRE

Are you a pyro who always wanted a joyride in a cop car? Start a fire, and your dream will come true.

kg287609@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity