Former Ohio forward signs to play in France

Another member of Ohio’s 2010-2011 basketball team has said “bonjour” to playing for a paycheck abroad.

Forward DeVaughn Washington has signed to play for Saint-Etienne in France’s Pro B League. The league is the second-highest division of basketball in the country, and Saint-Etienne joined it after winning the NM 1 League last year.

Washington, a native of Virginia Beach, Va., had worked out near the nation’s capital prior to the NBA Draft and visited with the Boston Celtics and Washington Wizards.

As a senior, Washington used his 6-foot-8 frame to create space in the paint and averaged 13.4 points per game. He surpassed the 1,000-point plateau on a free throw in the first round of the Mid-American Conference Tournament against Toledo.

Washington improved throughout his last year in Athens. As the season progressed, he saw more time on the floor as he played more disciplined basketball.

Saint-Etienne is one of 18 teams in the Pro B League. At 6-foot-8, Washington is taller than any player on the team’s current roster.

Washington is the second former Bobcat to sign with a European team this summer. Earlier this week, Tommy Freeman signed to play with Worcester of the British Basketball League.

Washington did not immediately respond to requests for comment.