Cassandra R. Smith

Albany woman receives 23 months, fined $4K for multiple crimes

The second of two Albany residents charged with attempting to steal farm equipment last month pleaded guilty as part of an agreement with the Athens County Prosecutor’s Office.

Cassandra R. Smith, 25, was charged with one count of passing bad checks, theft, breaking and entering, and child endangerment.

The charges stemmed from an Aug. 2 incident when Smith and Bradley D. Bartlett, 24, attempted to steal $5,000 worth of farm equipment and steel from an Albany farm.

Smith left her 3-year-old son in the car during the incident. According to court documents, the owners of the farm caught them while they were loading the steel into a truck.

Smith also pleaded guilty to two counts of theft, one count of receiving stolen property, and one count of possession of heroin — all from earlier this year.

She was sentenced to 11 months for the theft and receiving stolen property charges and 12 months for passing bad checks, theft, breaking and entering, and child endangerment.

Smith will spend 23 months in prison, serving these two sentences consecutively, according to court documents.

She also received a concurrent sentence of six months for the possession of heroin.

Smith will be on community control for five years after her release, and must pay $4,000 in restitution. The maximum sentence possible was six years in prison and a $16,000 fine, according to court documents.

She will be eligible for judicial release in 30 days.

Bartlett pleaded guilty to passing bad checks, breaking and entering, theft, and child endangerment as part of a Sept. 1 agreement.

He was sentenced to four years in prison.

mll47009@ohiou.edu