Dawes remembered in musical memorial

Ohio University students and faculty gathered last night to remember OU student Gloria Dawes.

The two-hour memorial service was held in Galbreath Chapel in honor of the OU senior, who had been studying special education and dance.

Gloria died in a car accident Sept. 4 on I-77 near Byesville. She was 22 years old.

“Gloria loved music and dancing; she was very passionate about them both,” said Matt Moore, a friend of Gloria’s who graduated from OU in June with a degree in finance and marketing and who organized the service.

During the memorial service, songs from Bob Marley echoed against the chapel walls. Marley had been one of Gloria’s favorite musicians, Moore said.

“She had always been an advocate for local music and always supported it,” he added.

Megan Nickolas, a senior studying dance, attended the memorial service. She said she’d had classes with Gloria during her time at OU.

“Gloria loved all types of music,” Nickolas said. “She was very sweet, quiet and fun to be around.”

Gloria’s sister, parents and grandmother came to Athens to attend the service.

Gloria’s dream was to use dance to help reach autistic children, said Shelley Dawes, Gloria’s mother.

Gloria’s grandmother, Marilyn Pirozak, who graduated from OU in 1970, decided to set up a dance scholarship on Gloria’s behalf.

Money from the scholarship will provide support for autistic children to study dance at Oglebay Institute in Wheeling, W.Va.

“This way, Gloria’s dream can still come true,” Shelley said.

Just a little over a week ago, Gloria posted a Facebook status that read, “There’s something in the air.”

“Gloria left us that Facebook status behind for us so we can know she’s happy, safe and free,” Shelley said.

Gloria transferred to OU from West Virginia University and fell in love with Athens, her sister Rebecca Dawes said.

“Gloria loved the diverse culture and loved being able to interact with all sorts of different people,” Rebecca added.

Madeleine Scott, director of OU’s School of Dance, attended the memorial service as well.

“Gloria was a lovely, very energetic and engaged student,” Scott said. “She will be missed.”

bc822010@ohiou.edu