Divorce final for woman charged with killing stepdaughter

The divorce between a Plains woman charged with killing her 4-year-old stepdaughter, and the victim’s father was finalized Wednesday, four months after the incident.

Craig Young, the husband of Ashley J. Young, 25, filed for divorce the day after his wife was indicted for aggravated murder and other charges related to the death of his daughter, Kaylen Young.

The child was unresponsive and had suspicious marks on her body that suggested physical abuse when she was brought to O’Bleness Memorial Hospital May 23. She died at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus May 26.

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office charged Ashley with aggravated murder and other charges. Ashley was indicted by a grand jury June 2. Craig filed for divorce June 3.

The divorce was granted on the grounds of Ashley’s imprisonment and extreme cruelty, according to court documents. Craig has been named residential parent and legal custodian of the couple’s 4-month-old daughter Allyza Young.

The court has ordered that, for Allyza’s best interests, Ashley not be allowed to have visits with her, access to a day center she may attend, access to any records relating to her or access to any of her school activities, according to court documents.

Ashley is ordered to pay child support each month after she is released from prison. She is currently being held on $1 million bond at the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

Ashley is charged with two counts of aggravated murder and child endangerment and one count of murder, tampering with evidence and attempted aggravated possession of drugs, according to a previous Post article.

Aggravated murder is a special felony. If she is convicted of the charge, she could be sentenced to life in prison, life without parole or death, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

ml147009@ohiou.edu