Field hockey: Ohio faces another test in No. 8 American

Hawks? Hunted. Owls? Owned.

Ohio’s fowl frenzy continues Saturday with a road trip to play the American Eagles.

The Bobcats will face a top-10 program for the second time this year when they visit College Park, Md., this weekend.

Less than two weeks ago, the team traveled upstate to Columbus and defeated then-No. 6 Ohio State.

Coach Neil Macmillan’s undefeated Bobcats have not forgotten the road win, as it was the type of momentum booster a team builds on.

“We’re in good shape going in,” Macmillan said about the matchup with the eighth-ranked Eagles. “We’re not scared.”

That confidence has stemmed from a perfect start to the season, one in which Ohio (5-0) has showed it can win games and score goals in a variety of methods.

At different points thus far, both the offense and defense have proved to be adept when it comes to besting the opposition.

Ohio has surrendered only three goals through five games. As for their offense, the Bobcats have put the ball in the net 19 times and twice scored seven goals in a single game.

“I don’t think we’re a team that relies on individuals to play well,” Macmillan said. “I think we’ve got enough depth on the field that if someone is not quite on their game, we’ve got others who can cover them.”

That’s not to say the Bobcats have lacked stellar individual performances this season. The Mid-American Conference recently honored two Bobcats with the Offensive and Defensive Player of the Week awards.

Cathyrn Altdoerffer was awarded for scoring three goals against St. Joseph’s and Temple.

Louzeth Schutte took home the defensive honor as a leader on a unit that has shut down opposing teams all season.

Still, Macmillan said the recognition did not lead to any special treatment in practice. On his team, it goes without saying that team accomplishments are what matter most.

“The whole team contributed to the defensive award,” he said. “We’re very much a team out there.”

me811508@ohiou.edu