Field Hockey: Ohio to encounter 2 MAC teams at home

Despite playing the majority of their games on the road this season, the Bobcats have jumped out to an 8-2 record. Mid-American Conference play will continue for them this weekend, with games at home against Ball State and Miami.

With six road wins already under their belt, the Bobcats will play only four more games away from Pruitt Field this season. Even the conference tournament will be held in Athens this year. 

“I don’t know if there’s a huge home-field advantage,” Ohio coach Neil Macmillan said. “I think there’s a certain amount of comfort when you’re at home. We have our routine. We know where we’re going to be and at what time.

“We would like to have 100,000 screaming fans shouting obscenities at the opposition, but unfortunately in our sport that doesn’t happen.”

But no matter how noisy or quiet Pruitt Field is this weekend, Macmillan has to like the way his team matches up against the visitors. Ball State is 1-8 this year, and its only win came against Miami.

In three meetings against Ball State last season, Ohio won every game by a combined score of 15-1.

As for the RedHawks, they’ll head into this weekend with a 3-8 record.

Both Ball State and Miami are 1-1 in the MAC, while the Bobcats have yet to lose to an in-conference opponent.

The Bobcats have enjoyed less success against Miami, however. In two regular season meetings last season, the teams each came away with a win. They met again in the MAC Tournament, where the RedHawks knocked Ohio out in the semifinals.

“I wouldn’t say (Miami) isn’t as good this year,” Ohio senior Louzeth Schutte said. “They have a new coach, so maybe there’s a bit of just getting used to stuff and whatnot.”

“I think his philosophy and his ideas have come in and (provided) a fresh and new start,” Macmillan added about Iñako Puzo, the RedHawks’ new coach.

Before getting a glimpse of Puzo’s club, Ohio will play Ball State Saturday. Macmillan said because Miami’s team is young and emotional, it is hard to predict what the opponent will bring to the field.

“They always seem to get up for us,” Macmillan said. “They’re a team that can compete and be successful.

“I certainly can’t look at their record as a justification of how they’re going to be playing when we face them on Saturday.”

me811508@ohiou.edu

UP NEXT:

Ball State at Ohio

1 p.m. Saturday at Pruitt Field

Miami at Ohio

1 p.m. Sunday at Pruitt Field