WINDHAM

Football: 'Bell' win draws 2 recruitment ringers

Just like mom’s old chime that rings the youngsters in for dinner, Ohio’s victory in the Battle for the Bell two weeks ago has brought top-flight talent running to Athens.

Two high school football players have made verbal commitments to play for Ohio University beginning in 2012. Both were in Athens to watch the Bobcats, dressed in brand-new black jerseys, pummel Marshall University 44-7.

“I enjoyed it. The atmosphere was crazy,” said 2012 Bobcat recruit Greg Windham. “They beat their rivals and made Marshall look like a Division-II team. That right there made me want to come up (to Ohio).”

Windham, a quarterback from King High School in Tampa, Fla., is not alone in his verbal commitment. Sticking by his side will be his number-one target, receiver Chris Murray.

“They liked the program and coaching staff at Ohio,” King football coach Alvin Davis said. “Both guys will be a big impact.”

Murray, a three-star Rivals.com recruit, declared his allegiance to Ohio after entertaining offers from major conference teams such as Illinois, Iowa State, Kansas and Washington State. Windham, who is also a three-star prospect, passed on Cincinnati and Troy, among others.

“Chris Murray is one of the best receivers I have seen,” Davis said. “He has the kind of talent you want in your program.”

The duo has lit up opposing teams so far this season. Windham has racked up nearly 1,000 yards in the air. Many of his completions have been to Murray, who has totaled 1,145 yards and 11 touchdowns in two-plus seasons for the Lions.

Standing at less than 6 feet tall, the speedy Murray will join the fast-paced Bobcat attack. More than half of Ohio’s 15 current receivers also stand at 6 feet tall or less.

Windham is known for his deep-threat arm and composed pocket presence. He has struck for more 3,500 yards in his tenure as the Lions’ quarterback.

Davis is very confident that his players’ abilities will translate well at the collegiate level.

“I have no doubt that they’ll be competing for starting spots,” he said. “I’m very happy they chose Ohio.”

Likewise, Windham couldn’t be more satisfied with his new decision.

“When I went up (to Athens), I fit right in. It was like a family,” he said. “The football team and the coaching staff are great. In the future, we are going to do great things.”

jr992810@ohiou.edu