Ohio running back Donte Harden runs past a Gardner-Webb defender at Peden Stadium. The Bobcats beat the Runnin’ Bulldogs 30-3 this past Saturday. Ohio will host Marshall Saturday. (Maddie Meyer | Staff Photographer)

Football: Despite weekend win, Solich focuses on fumbles

Win No. 100 in Frank Solich’s coaching career came 13 years after his first victory, but costly mistakes in Saturday night’s 30-3 win against Gardner-Webb might have caused him to age another 13 years.

Though the win will be most remembered as the 100th of his career, Solich was more emphatic about the Bobcats’ three lost fumbles and 46 penalty yards.

“Most coaches are perfectionists. The win was good to get, but we need to get much more polished,” Solich said. “We have addressed the penalties, but it hasn’t gotten better, so that is frustrating. We’ll continue to work on it and practice and see if we can’t make some improvement.”

OFFENSE

With the exception of multiple drive-killing penalties and turnovers, Ohio moved the ball with ease, compiling 391 yards of total offense.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Tyler Tettleton turned in another strong performance, completing 14 of 24 passes for 139 yards and two touchdowns.

“I felt like I was more calm out there with a game under my belt and under the home crowd,” Tettleton said. 

After going scoreless in the opening 15 minutes, Ohio’s offense ignited for 24 points in the second quarter.

“We didn’t really have much film on them, and they have a new defensive coordinator so we didn’t really know what to expect,” Tettleton said. “It felt like they were bringing a blitz every play. We just capitalized on that in the second quarter and the rest of the game.”   

DEFENSE

After allowing 362 passing yards to New Mexico State in week one, Ohio’s defense gave up only 19 passing yards to Gardner-Webb.

The Runnin’ Bulldogs attempted only 18 passes compared to New Mexico State’s 41, and Solich said next week will be the true test for his defense.

“These guys were able to run it on us a little better than what New Mexico State did, but they weren’t able to throw it nearly as well,” he said. “Marshall runs it well and throws it well, so that will be a huge test defensively and answer some questions for us.”

After a slow start offensively to start the game, three interceptions in the second quarter by Ohio’s defense helped the Bobcats distance themselves from their opponent.

Jelani Woseley’s 26-yard interception return for a touchdown was the first interception and score of his career.

“I had the opportunity and I had to make the most of it,” Woseley said of the return. “I just ran.”

Redshirt freshman Nate Carpenter also grabbed his first-career interception, and Gerald Moore made his seventh-career pick.

SPECIAL TEAMS

One of the biggest points Solich stressed during the week leading up to Saturday’s game was the need to improve on kickoff coverage — something he said they did not do.

Gardner-Webb averaged more than 22 yards per return on seven kickoffs.

“We still have to work on that, put more time in and look at personnel,” Solich said. “It is especially important if you’re scoring touchdowns because, all of a sudden, you’ve given them the momentum back with a big return and they’ve got good field position.”

ro137807@ohiou.edu