High School Football: Nelsonville-York cruises past Logan despite slippery conditions

Rarely will a 42-6 victory be a tough game to watch for the winning team's fans, but that was the case for Buckeye supporters Friday night.

After a dominating first half that had the Buckeyes leading 29-0 over the Logan Chieftains, a slight drizzle turned into a heavy rain. But instead of lightning the precipitation was paired with a flurry of yellow penalty flags. The combination of a slick field and a slick ball made it tough on the Buckeyes, as they attempted to establish a rhythm threw the air, specifically on the receiving end.

"Tonight was very uncharacteristic," coach Dave Boston said of Nelsonville-York's struggles in the passing game. "Up until this game Nathan (Dean) was right around 75 to 77 percent (on completions) throwing the football. He put the ball in our hands quite a few times tonight and we dropped them."

Luckily for the Buckeyes, their defense, which has been stingy all season, was not in a giving mood tonight. It forced a pair of turnovers in the game.

"You couldn't ask for more out of a bunch of young men," Boston said. "They flew around all over the place tonight and made plays."

Logan quarterback Kelly Long, who was injured in the first half, returned in the second half to have a decent outing both running and throwing the ball. But when it came to making the big stop, Nelsonville-York was up to the task.

"We played physical and we didn't give up the big pass all night," Boston said. "We bent a little, but we didn't break."

Senior running back Dustin Young had yet another impressive game, piling 173 yards on the ground and adding a touchdown. Young would have had an additional yard and score by his name, but he was ruled down at the half-yard line even though he appeared to get past the goal line.

Despite the rainy conditions, Nathan Dean was able to put up 116 passing yards and two touchdowns on 7-for-13 throwing. Both of those aerial touchdowns went to senior wide receiver Daniel Kline.

The Buckeyes improved to 5-0 with the win.

mt051510@ohiou.edu