High School Football: Returning talent key in Bulldogs' strong season kickoff

Sporting a 2-0 record and a new turf field, the Athens High School football team is off to a promising start. With coach Ryan Adams at the helm, the Bulldogs boast plenty of returning players and have legitimate reasons to be optimistic about the season.

“We have a ton of experience returning, especially on the defensive side of the ball, where we have as many as eight guys that saw the field last year coming back,” Adams said.

One of those players is middle linebacker Mitch Rider, the reigning Tri-Valley Conference Ohio Division Defensive Player of the Year. He will anchor a tough defense alongside returning starters such as Josh Maxson at defensive end, John Keifer at tackle, and Trevor Sorrell at nose guard. Skylar Schwarzel also returns to play cornerback.

The defense might be the team’s best unit, Adams said, as the squad has limited opponents to an average of 12 points a game in the first two contests of the year.

“Our defense has really shined out of the gate,” he said.

Reigning TVC-Ohio Offensive Player of the Year DeVon Sharp aims to power the offense as its starting running back. Joining him in the backfield is standout fullback Chris Russell. Senior captain Travis Taylor will anchor the offensive line from center.

Rider, Sharp, Russell and Maxson are all getting attention on the recruiting trail. Combining their talent with that of other returning players, Adams finds his job a little easier this year. So far, he said he is pleased with how the team is progressing. 

“We have been able to implement and execute our offense and defense much sooner this year than last year,” Adams said. “The team’s football IQ as a whole is so much higher.”

After some tough losses last season, Athens is looking to rebound. Four of the team’s five defeats last season came by fewer than seven points.

Adams said the team has learned from those experiences.

“It will pay dividends — having so many tight ballgames last year,” he said.

The Bulldogs plan on maintaining their success and building on their 2-0 record.

Their next game is Friday night at Warren High School.

“We’re steady,” Adams said. “We are going to just keep doing what we do and executing.”

as506610@ohiou.edu