High School Football: Undefeated Bulldogs take field tonight

Since Athens’ 19-10 win against Chillicothe last season, the two teams have headed in opposite directions. The Bulldogs have won eight games since, while the Cavaliers have only won four.

The Bulldogs bring a 3-0 record into tonight’s game while the Cavaliers limp in at 0-3 after suffering a 42-0 blowout at Ironton last week.

Athens coach Ryan Adams said that despite its record, Chillicothe has had a few tough breaks and should not be taken lightly.

Part of the Cavaliers’ struggles can be attributed to a tough schedule. Their first three opponents all have winning records, and Maxpreps.com ranks Ironton as the 65th best team in the state.

Adams said he thinks Ironton is one of the top four teams in its state division.

“(Chillicothe) has played some really good competition,” he said. “I think

they’re a very good 0-3 football team.”

Chillicothe’s offensive style might also make a tough game for Athens.

The Cavaliers employ a triple-option attack used by few teams. Adams said the triple-option will present a unique test for the Athens defense.

After facing a pass-happy attack from Warren last week, the triple option’s emphasis on the run will pose a striking contrast in style.

Adams said considerable preparation is always needed when going up against an unconventional team.

“They have a lot of team speed and athletes,” he said. “We’ve tweaked our defense to cover the triple option.”

Athens’ biggest strength this season has been its defense, which has limited opponents to two touchdowns or less through the first

three weeks.

Prior to scoring 14 points on its home turf against the Bulldogs last week, Warren’s high-powered passing attack scored 78 points in its previous two games.

Even at 3-0, Adams said he knows how important it is not to look too far

ahead or to become complacent with success.

“We like to take things one game at a time and we’re really happy to be 3-0 after facing some different styles,” Adams said. “I think it’s going to be a really good football game.”

Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 tonight in Athens.

as506610@ohiou.edu