Hockey: Bobcats aim to topple Mountaineers in weekend matchup

Playing a team that you’ve already beaten handily may seem like a piece of cake, a cinch, a welcomed chance to add a couple more easy marks to the win column.  

That’s exactly the mentality the Bobcats will try to guard against this weekend when they take on the West Virginia Mountaineers, a team Ohio blew out 7-2 just six days ago.

Even in the five-goal defeat, the Mountaineers served notice that they are not a group that will go down easily. West Virginia attempted to turn the game into a scrap after falling behind and outshot Ohio in the final two periods.

That minor wake-up call, and the fact the season is only a game old, are two reasons why coach Dan Morris does not think complacency will be a problem for his team tonight.

“I think early in the year it’s OK because guys are still excited. It doesn’t matter who you play, they’re still pumped up,” he said. “It doesn’t concern me. The biggest thing is to make sure guys understand it’s a two-game weekend, that’s six periods of hockey, and break the game down one period at a time.”

Despite the satisfying score line, the Bobcats also came out of last weekend’s game with plenty to work on as the season gets under way.

The power play, one of Ohio’s strengths from a season ago and a unit that returns four of five first-unit players, was off against West Virginia. The unit converted on just one of seven chances, as the Mountaineers pressured Ohio’s point men.

“I don’t think we got as many shots as we would have liked,” Morris said. “We’re looking for the perfect play rather than getting the puck to the front of the net when we had a 2-on-1 advantage at the front.”

If West Virginia resorts to some roughhousing, Ohio could have plenty of chances to make it pay on the man advantage. Morris expects his team to take better advantage of opportunities this weekend.

Notching another week of practice, only the third full week the Bobcats have trained together, has helped his team gel a bit more as a unit.

“You go from not being around it for six months and the only thing you’re playing is pick-up hockey or men’s league and you get some bad habits in there,” Morris said. “You start to see the light bulbs come on a little bit.”

cd211209@ohiou.edu

Up Next:

OHIO vs. West Virginia

7:30 tonight and Saturday

Bird Arena

Admission: $5 for students, $7 for adults