MAC Football: Conference struggles in non-league play

Football teams throughout the Mid-American Conference faced hefty opponents this weekend, and more tough matchups are on tap for this Saturday.

Coach Tim Beckman of the Toledo Rockets (1-1) arrived in Columbus with full intentions of upsetting the No. 15 Ohio State Buckeyes. In the end, his team was defeated 27-22, but he left with his head held high.  

“We had a chance to win in the fourth quarter but fell

16 yards short of that,” he said.

Despite the loss, Toledo wide receiver Eric Page stole the show, recording two touchdowns and 145 yards on 12 receptions.

Northern Illinois (1-1) traveled to Kansas last Saturday but came up on the short end of an offensive showdown. With nine seconds remaining, Kansas quarterback Jordan Webb found D.J. Beshears in the end zone. Kicker Alex Mueller added the extra point to hoist the Jayhawks over the Huskies in a 45-42 thriller.

Both quarterbacks had outstanding games. The Huskies’ Chandler Harnish went 27-for-33 315 yards and two touchdowns, and Webb led the Jayhawks with 281 passing yards and three touchdowns.

“They made one more play than we did, and that’s what it came down to,” Northern Illinois coach Dave Doeren said.

Central Michigan (1-1) had its hands full with Kentucky Saturday. The Chippewas couldn’t halt the Wildcats’ second-half comeback, losing 27-13.  Ryan Radcliff of Central Michigan threw for 295 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.  

Though the loss will not sit well with the Chippewas, they must regroup quickly if they plan to beat conference and in-state rival Western Michigan (1-1) next weekend.  

“We talk about this game yearround. It’s not just something we talk about this week,” coach Dan Enos said.

Enos also said his team would be without sophomore running back and kick returner Zurlon Tipton next Saturday. He was injured while playing the Wildcats.

Elsewhere in the MAC, the Temple Owls (2-0) and the Akron Zips (0-2) opened conference play Saturday in Akron, and Temple improved its record to 2-0 with a 41-3 victory.  

This weekend, four MAC teams are searching for upsets against Big Ten schools. Northern Illinois will face  No. 7 Wisconsin, and Eastern Michigan (2-0) has the task of containing the Michigan Wolverines and explosive quarterback Denard Robinson.

Also, Toledo will host No. 4 Boise State Friday-night.

mm938910@ohiou.edu