State felony dismissal request granted

The state of Ohio asked the Athens County Court of Common Pleas to deny the request of a former deputy to have one of his eight felony charges dismissed.

The former head of Athens County’s Narcotics Enforcement Team, Jerry D. Hallowell, 46, asked the court to dismiss his theft in office charge Sept. 12 claiming that indictment was “overly board” and that it “fails to set up specifically the nature” of the offense, according to court documents.

Hallowell is also charged with four counts of sexual battery and one count of attempted sexual battery, bribery and unauthorized use of the Ohio Law Enforcement Gateway.

The sexual-battery charges stem from four different incidents between April 27 and Sept. 5, 2010, when he allegedly had sexual contact with an undercover female informant. The other charges are the result of an investigation by the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation, a department in the Office of the Ohio Attorney General.

The state asked for the court to deny Hallowell’s motion because he did not explain the reasoning for his request, according to court documents.

The state claimed that they provided all mandated information in the discovery and bill of particulars. A supplemental bill of particulars, which gave more information about the offense, was filed Sept. 15.  

Hallowell was on paid leave from the time of his arrest until his resignation May 9, 2011. He was being paid a normal deputy's annual salary of $42,993.60.

Hallowell could spend a maximum of 29 years in prison and pay up to $62,500 if convicted on all charges, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

The court has not yet issued a response to the state’s request. Hallowell has a final preliminary hearing Nov. 2. 

ml147009@ohiou.edu