Take It Personally: U.S. debt crisis creates myriad poor opinions

There is one concept that infiltrated our summer: the debt-ceiling crisis.

From the endless news reports (many of which had nothing new at all to say) to every citizen’s expert analysis on the situation, these evaluations — entertaining as they were — grew old quickly.

For an issue with no one good answer, many people were compelled to state their opinions on how to resolve it. As the Aug. 2 deadline approached, headlines endlessly told of the constant tug-of-war between Republicans and Democrats.

It was hard to ignore the repeated proclamations to “keep spending” or “stop spending.”

I know I am not the only one who noticed the babble (according to my Facebook friends, those I follow on Twitter and the occasional discussion overheard at the grocery store).

Many people thought our nation’s budget could be boiled down to this false dichotomy and solved with one quick action.

Now, that’s not to say I could propose a better answer. But, I do know there are countless considerations to be taken.

It would eventually come down to much more than can be condensed into a decision to either cut or keep spending. I simply figured that — because I’m neither an economist nor a politician and wasn’t quite inclined to take a few days off from my enticing summer job to solve the debt-ceiling crisis — I’d be best off not announcing my opinions on the matter.

I readily will admit I have limited knowledge on the crisis. But I do know that my generation largely will be the ones affected by the decision to raise the debt ceiling.

For those so ready to say the federal government should cut entitlement programs altogether, I’d like to see what they have to say about the decision when they see what it does to their student loans — or any loans for that matter.

Even after the choice was made to raise the debt limit, the cuts Congress made were reflected in federal subsidized loans.

When a topic such as the debt crisis has a widespread impact, I think we can all agree that, if you don’t have something intelligent to say, you shouldn’t say anything at all.

There’s a difference between sticking your head in the sand, remaining ignorant to the world around you and simply choosing to think before you speak.

No matter where spending was cut — or even shifted — it was guaranteed to affect many people, in many different ways. Those of us who truly feel passionate about this can take action to support the changes they wish to see.

Rather than ranting aimlessly at followers or friends about a subject they know little about, people who are passionate about the issue will take the actions necessary to contact their representation.

There are many things we can take away from this past summer’s debt-ceiling crisis. Some will say that future administrations will know cutting taxes while increasing war spending is not the best idea.

Some might see it as a classic case of procrastination.

I say that we should take away the unlikely social lesson this debt crisis has offered: Think first, speak second.

Nicole Spears is a sophomore studying public relations and a columnist for The Post. Think you can offer your 2 cents about the budget? Email her at ns307109@ohiou.edu.