Ohio sophomore Mollie Geskie readies to return a serve against Miami at The Convo. The Bobcats Saturday beat the RedHawks 3-0. Ohio will play at Kent State at 7 tonight. (SUSANNE KAY | For The Post)

Volleyball: Bobcats not bad at bump, set, spike, but they're the country's best blockers

General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson gained a reputation for not letting opposing troops get through his ranks. Much like Jackson, the Ohio Bobcats are gaining a reputation for not letting opponents’ attacks get through their blocks.

With 424.5 blocks last season, the Bobcats led not only the Mid-American Conference but also the entire country in the category. The closest MAC team behind Ohio was Kent State, with 300 total blocks.

This season, the Bobcats find themselves alone at the top of the conference with 181 blocks — 80 blocks ahead of second-place Bowling Green.

“The biggest thing is that we’re a physical team, and we make it a priority to not only have technique but good blocking vision,” coach Ryan Theis said. “I think it’s so important because it is so discouraging for opposing hitters to get blocked multiple times in a volley.”

Last season, Ohio finished last in the conference in digs, but it was not because more balls were finding their side of the court. Rather, it was because more balls were finding the hands of Bobcat blockers.

This season, senior Katie Post and redshirt sophomore Lexie Hartnett are first and third in the conference in blocks, respectively. Post said the credit for the team’s blocking prowess should go to assistant coach Kyle Weindel.

“Kyle is a great blocking coach. He really helps us out a lot,” Post said. “(He’s taught us) to always read the setter’s hands and see if you can tell if they’re going in front or behind, and always try and close (on the ball) no matter where you are at.”

The Bobcats will try to continue netting blocks during this weekend’s game against Kent State , another team ranked near the top of the MAC standings in the category.

The system that Theis employs is one that places an emphasis on being a good blocking team.

“We try and coach that way; we try and put a huge emphasis on it. We also need physical players to do it,” Theis said. “If we were a small team, we’d have to play a different style, but right now we are a physical team so we coach to that strength.”

nr225008@ohiou.edu