On their first day of work, new employees of Wings Over Athens wait for customers. The new restaurant, which opened yesterday, serves different chicken dishes with an airplane theme. Wings Over Athens occupied the former Verizon store on Court Street. (DUSTIN LENNERT | Director of Photography)

Wings chain roosts on Court

After quitting his job at a chain restaurant in Massachusetts, Pat Daly and his business partner, Harold Tramazzo, decided to start their own chicken-wing shop, Wings Over.

Ironically enough, yesterday’s opening of Wings Over Athens, 31 N. Court St., marked the restaurant’s growth from one location into a 30-shop chain.

Wings Over was formed on the University of Massachusetts campus in 1999 in order to get away from the chains that were bothering Daly, who was a student at the time. 

That location would serve as the epicenter of his now-thriving business.

Daly said that, after opening a location at Ohio State University, Athens was the logical place to expand.

He added that Ohio University’s No. 1 party-school ranking by the Princeton Review did not affect his choice to put a restaurant here.

“I did a lot of research and made the decision about two years ago,” Daly said. “But (the ranking) didn’t keep me up at night.”

Verizon ended its lease in February, when Daly said he “just happened to be wandering down the street.” Daly’s lease on the property began July 15, and the space has been undergoing renovations ever since.

wh092010@ohiou.edu