Appalachian doctors not encouraging vital vaccine

A recent study by Ohio State University shows that pediatricians in the Appalachian region are less likely to encourage the human papillomavirus vaccine.

The study, led by Janice Krieger, assistant professor of communication at OSU, surveyed 334 pediatricians in the Appalachian and non-Appalachian areas of Kentucky and West Virginia.

Pediatricians in the Appalachian region were less likely to say they encouraged their patients to receive the vaccine and were less likely to say their patients were susceptible to HPV, according to the study.

“The fact that HPV is sexually transmitted makes it a difficult subject to bring up.  Other studies have shown that it is especially true in small towns and rural areas where parents may be concerned about community gossip,” Krieger states in the report. “Pediatricians may be recommending the vaccine less often because they are worried about offending parents of their patients.”

The study’s findings were less than pleasing to the ears of Dr. James Gaskell, former pediatrician and health commissioner of the Athens City-County Health Department.

“I am taken aback and a little concerned. This vaccine is very important in the prevention of cervical cancer,” Gaskell said.

The vaccine, known as Gardasil, contains four active strains. Two of the strains prevent 70 percent of cervical-cancer cases, and the others prevent 90 percent of genital warts, Gaskell said, adding that the genital-wart strains make the vaccine a good idea for men as well as women.

“I think that there may be different cultural or social norms in Appalachia that may lead people to perceive less risk.  Pediatricians may assume that there are more conservative sexual norms,” Krieger said.

The lack of vaccination recommendations might not be a result of doctor prejudice, Gaskell said.

“I think they see the risk but sometimes do not get to give the vaccine,” he said.

Transportation or other extenuating factors might be the reason patients in Appalachia do not see their doctors as much as patients in more urban areas, Gaskell said, adding that one must see his or her doctor in order to get a vaccine.

The vaccine is very accessible to children in Ohio because of the Vaccines for Children program, Gaskell added.

The program covers the cost of the vaccine for children up to age 19 who are underinsured or uninsured.  The program also gives vaccines to Alaskan natives and American Indians. The program has given 169 vaccines this year, Gaskell said.

“It is important that (people) see the risk,” Krieger said.

sm366909@ohiou.edu