Artists pick Scabmart to sell, display Halloween-inspired creations

This Saturday, a group of artists will carve out their own portion of the Athens Halloween Block Party to flaunt creativity beyond that of costume choice.

Scabmart will host its second annual art sale featuring Halloween-themed art crafted by local artists.

Kelly Lawrence, an independent artist contributing to Scabmart, said sugar skulls, pumpkin soap, sock monkeys and light-up spider web tiaras will be a few of the items for sale.

“We just started pulling artists together who had the capabilities or who already made Halloween-style art,” Lawrence said.

Scabmart will also feature three ceramic artists selling incense burners and sugar skull pothead planters.

The booth will be located outside Art Apocalypse Now, 14 W. Union St., and will feature items from about 10 different artists.

Scabmart has also paired with ARTS/West and will distribute Scabmart coupons to those dressed in the best costumes at the Scare-o-Rama movie night hosted by ARTS/West.

The movie night will feature The Fly and Young Frankenstein and will start at 7 p.m. Admission will be $8 per household, $5 for general admission or $2 for ARTS/West members.

Scare-o-Rama proceeds will benefit the ARTS/West Film Series.

Danette Pratt, an independent artist who hosted the first Scabmart sale last year, said the event is a great vending opportunity for the independent artists to display their unique work.

“You get to see a lot of Christmas art, but you don’t get to see a lot of Halloween art,” Pratt said. “People can be really creative with Halloween art.”

While this is only the second sale for Scabmart, Pratt said she hopes to see similar events in the future.

“I’m looking forward to the chance to do this every year,” Pratt said. “I think it can be a lot of fun if we keep trying for it. I think it’s something people who visit Athens will look forward to.”

sg409809@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What: Scabmart

When: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday

Where: Art Apocalypse Now, 14 W. Union St