Paul Abraham

Athens mourns death of beloved business owner

Known for his charm and genuine kindness, Paul Abraham personified and perfected the role of the small-town business owner. After he died last week, customers and friends, often synonymous at the Campus Sundry, began leaving notes and flowers at the doorstep for the West Union Street storeowner.

The Athens native owned the Sundry, 14 W. Union St., for over 40 years before passing in his sleep Sept. 28 at age 75. Loyal to the area he was raised in, Abraham graduated from Athens High School in 1954 and Ohio University in 1959.

“He was a very good person, a good businessman who loved people,” Paul’s brother Ray Abraham said.

Abraham and a friend opened the Campus Sundry during his senior year at OU in a smaller location on Union Street, Ray said. After graduating, the business expanded to its current location and opened in 1960, he added.

The Campus Sundry, which is closed until further notice, sold cigarettes, magazines and OU apparel since the day it opened. Though the convenience store is a West Union Street staple, none of the family members expressed interest in operating the store and it will be put up for sale, Ray said.

Over the years the Sundry employed notable OU alumni such as actor Richard Dean Anderson, voice actress Nancy Cartwright and Miss America 1972 Laurie Lee Schafer, Ray said.

“He had no reason to leave,” said Ray in regards to Paul’s loyalty toward Athens. “Everything was right here for him.”

Abraham is survived by four brothers, a sister-in-law, about 80 other family members and his beloved dog, Star, who could often be found relaxing on the sidewalks of West Union or letting friendly patrons pet him.

Abraham won first place for outstanding achievement from the International Society of Poetry and worked for over a decade on a book about small business in America, Ray added.

The Abrahams received a letter from the publisher the day after Paul’s death that stated the book was to be published.

Flint McColgan, a former OU student, patronized the Campus Sundry daily and was good friends with Abraham. To him, Abraham left his own mark on Athens and OU students.

“To me, Athens has an intangible quality — a disconnect from the rest of the world, like a movie set,” said McColgan. “Paul had that too. He was uniquely Athens.”

Abraham would get to know his customers by discussing a variety of topics from politics, business, the history of Athens and pop culture, McColgan said.

“He didn’t just make acquaintances, he made fast friends,” McColgan said. “He went out of his way to please his friends, and he had many.”

McColgan said that Abraham was an essential part of Athens and will not be the same without him.

“It wasn’t just a place to buy cigarettes,” he said. “You don’t find people like him often.”

Abraham’s funeral will be held today at 10 a.m. at St. Paul’s Catholic Church, 38 North College St., in Athens.

rc348710@ohiou.edu