Dems challenge GOP redistricting plans

Ohio Democrats took a major step in repealing current redistricting plans last week when the state Supreme Court unanimously ruled to allow a referendum on the new congressional voting districts.

Now, both Ohio Democrats and Republicans are awaiting another decision by the state Supreme Court on whether or not the 90-day filing deadline for petitions looking to put the bill on the ballot will be extended.

Last week after Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted rejected signatures from the Ohio Democratic Party that looked to place the redistricting bill on the ballot, the Ohio Supreme Court ruled 7-0 that Husted accept the signatures.

Husted argued he did not have to allow a referendum on the bill due to a last minute addition to the bill that added government funds to the bill. In his approximation, this meant that the bill could not be brought forward to a referendum.

Regardless of whether or not the deadline is extended, the ruling already has officials statewide a bit unsettled.

“It's just kind of chaotic right now,” said Athens County Republican Party Chairman Pete Couladis. “I think that the Democrats are playing chicken with this process and they want everything their way. There is a process whether we like it or not. I haven't heard many people who like any of the districts.”

If the bill comes to a vote, it would mean that Ohio congressional primary candidates could be running for seats in districts that might not exist by the fall election cycle. But Ohio Democrats are adamant about making sure there is a referendum on the districts many have said are slanted 12-4 for the Republicans.

“We support the Ohio Democratic Party,” Ohio University College Democrats President Nick Tuell said. “This is about fairness.”

Tuell also said the referendum process is not official yet and that Ohio Democrats will find out more about what groups and organizations will be participating in the referendum effort if it happens.

“(The) Supreme Court’s decision has opened a lot of unanswered questions with this (decision),” Bias said.

Couladis, however feels as though the referendum will create more question than answers.

“Just delaying it and saying we're going to have an election with so much uncertainty ... it's just going to create more problems and more cost,” he said. “The board of elections is now in a difficult situation trying to prepare for an election.”

—The Associated Press contributed to this article

dd195710@ohiou.edu