Editor's Note: Homecoming weekend: onset of Athens madness

Dear Class of 2015,

Congrats, you’ve survived six full weeks in the heavenly rural escape we call Athens. It’s a given that you’ve loved every minute of your time at Ohio University thus far.

I saw all 4,000 were on time for the football home opener against Gardner-Webb a few weeks ago, and I noticed that you’ve all clearly gotten the “everyone leaves at halftime” memo.

You’ve probably pulled your first real college all-nighter and ventured to far-off lands such as Kurtz and High streets for house parties.

But I’ve got some unfortunate news for you. Just when you thought you have this college thing figured out, things are about to get crazy.

Just a few short weekends from now, Athens will be invaded by thousands of costume-wearing visitors. Then, a few weeks after that, you’ll become best friends with Alden Library before heading home for the longest six weeks of your life.

Believe me, you’re going to be counting the days until you get to come back.

Good news is, you don’t need to wait until Halloween for the craziness because Homecoming weekend is the beginning to the madness.

From every OU woman’s favorite pseudo-rapper, Mike Posner, to bars and house parties that are packed by 9:30 a.m. to what is sure to be a more-crowded-than-usual Saturday afternoon football game, this weekend promises to be a memorable one.

The thing that makes Homecoming weekend the best time of the year — yes, better than Halloween and the annual couch-burning fests in the spring — is that it’s the one time the entire campus truly bleeds green.

From Yell Like Hell and Facebook groups urging you to vote for this person or that person for Homecoming Court to the Court Street parade and the vibrant atmosphere Uptown, this weekend never disappoints. Best of all, the few days during the year that there are more green-and-white T-shirts being sported than there are scarlet-and-gray.

So set your alarm clock, get your behind up to Court Street on Saturday morning, and get your green on.

And to all the alumni back in Athens after a while away: Welcome home.