Bassett

Former OU basketball player settles lawsuit out of court

The lawsuit between a former Ohio University basketball player and a local bar bouncer was dismissed Thursday after being resolved outside of court.

Armon Bassett, 24, was being sued by John Willis for $275,000 in damages for injuries he suffered May 1, 2010. Willis claimed that Bassett punched him in the face after he denied the basketball player entrance into Courtside Pizza and Bar, 85 N. Court St., around 11 p.m.

Bassett fled the scene to the Verizon parking lot, where he was eventually identified by witnesses and arrested by Athens police. He was charged with one count of assault.

He pleaded no contest to the charge and was found guilty in the Athens County Municipal Court on Nov. 16, 2010. He was fined $300 and ordered to complete 40 hours of community service, according to court documents.

Willis filed a lawsuit June 30, 2010, claiming he suffered a fractured nose, debilitating humiliation and stress from the incident. The case was dismissed with prejudice Thursday because Bassett and Willis had settled and resolved the issues to their “full and complete satisfaction,” according to court documents.

Bassett was arrested near his hometown of Terre Haute, Ind., for possession of marijuana in January.

Bassett transferred to OU for basketball after two seasons at Indiana University.

After sitting out a year because of NCAA regulations, he played a key role on the Bobcats’ 2010 Mid-American Conference championship and the ensuing NCAA tournament run. He averaged 17 points, and more than three assists and rebounds per game.

After the 2009-2010 season, Bassett left the team and the university with hopes of being taken in the NBA Draft. He was not selected in the main draft, but the Maine Red Claws of the NBA Developmental League selected him. Bassett was cut from the team before the league’s season began.

ml147009@ohiou.edu