Bulldogs' quarterback Josh Skinner is tackled after a short gain against the Spartans. Athens won last Friday's game against Alexander 40-7. Despite the loss, Alexander might be a tough opponent for the undefeated Nelsonville-York team during tonight's game. (Jason Chow | For The Post)

High School Football: Buckeyes might find Spartans hard nut to crack

Eight games and eight blowout wins into the season, Nelsonville-York finally might have found a team that can play up to its standard.

In a game with plenty of playoff implications, the Buckeyes will face the Alexander Spartans tonight in Albany.

Last week’s blowout loss against the Athens Bulldogs aside, Alexander boasts one of the best records in the Tri-Valley Conference Ohio division and will have home-field advantage tonight against the Buckeyes.

The Spartans (6-2 overall, 1-2 in TVC-Ohio play) are backed into a corner against the Buckeyes after two-consecutive losses have made the remaining two games must-wins.

Nelsonville-York’s trio of star seniors have just two regular season games left in their high-school careers and should be just as motivated to remain on top of the TVC-Ohio standings.

“Being a senior, you want to make sure you win every time you hit the field,” said Nathan Dean, the Buckeyes’ senior quarterback. “There is no next year to make up for your mistakes. You have to win now.”

Alexander’s ability to take down an undefeated Nelsonville-York squad likely will hinge on Trey Bennett’s status heading into Friday night.

The senior has shined as a first-year starter at quarterback for the Spartans but was hurt last week against Athens.

In a 53-15 victory against Vinton County earlier this season, Bennett accounted for seven of Alexander’s eight touchdowns and has posted similar numbers through the air and on the ground since that night.

Because Bennett is such a crucial component of the Spartans’ offense, his status likely will play a large factor in determining tonight’s winner.

Even if Bennett is able to take the field tonight, defeating Nelsonville-York (8-0, 3-0) will be no small task.

The Buckeyes have steamrolled the competition so far this year thanks to their potent offense and stout defense, which has yet to allow more than 14 points in any game.

Statistically, the Buckeyes have the best defense in the conference, allowing an average of just more than six points per game.

The Buckeyes also boast one of the conference’s top running backs in Dustin Young, an experienced offensive line,  and an electric quarterback-wide receiver combo in Nathan Dean and Daniel Kline.

mt051510@ohiou.edu