Hockey: Road games, 'green' defense could trouble Ohio

Ohio visits the Land of Lincoln this weekend looking to bank two wins and log another — honestly.

The Bobcats will hit the road for the first time this season as they travel to Springfield, Ill., for the 9th Annual Division I Showcase, a meeting of 16 teams from the American Collegiate Hockey Association’s top division.

Normally seen as a disadvantage, going into unfriendly confines has not troubled Ohio in recent years. The Bobcats were seasoned road warriors last season, going 13-2 away from Bird Arena, including 5-1 in games on neutral ice like they’ll play on this weekend.

“I think when we’re on the road it’s easier for us to focus on the game. We’re there for one thing and one thing only,” forward Tyler Pilmore said. “It’s really not many distractions, whereas at home you’ve got school and other things and may not be focusing on the game as much.”

The Bobcats have a full docket at the Challenge, facing Stony Brook tonight and Oklahoma tomorrow afternoon before finishing up with an early morning matchup against Delaware Sunday.

The final two games should be an early season evaluation of where Ohio stands in relation to other top-level teams. Both Delaware and Oklahoma were ranked in the top 10 in the ACHA Division I preseason rankings. The Bobcats placed third in the same poll.

“They’re all national tournament contenders, so its well worth the trip to play three tournament teams,” coach Dan Morris said. “There’s no easy roads at the showcase this year.”

Ohio has little experience against the weekend opponents, playing total of two games — Oklahoma back in 2008 and Delaware in 2009 — against the three in the past three seasons.

“It’s going to be a challenge, playing three different games in three different days knowing each of them are really good teams that we don’t have a lot of experience against,” Pilmore said. “So we’re kind of going in a little bit blind.”

Adding to the degree of difficulty, senior defensemen Jonathan Gulch and Jake Holzemer will both be out all weekend with injuries, meaning Morris will be starting four freshmen on the blue line. Morris said, if anything, it would be a learning experience for the four.

“I’m a little nervous,” Morris said of his defensive situation. “But that’s something you can’t coach. That level of experience they’re going to be getting this season.”

cd211209@ohiou.edu