Jury indicts National Guardsman on 2 rape counts

A National Guardsman accused of raping an Ohio University student last month was indicted by a grand jury yesterday.

Levi D. Canterbury, 21, of Gallipolis, was indicted on two counts of rape.

The charges stemmed from an incident Sept. 10 when Canterbury allegedly picked up the female student on state Route 682, drove her to a lit parking lot and raped her. He then dropped her off near College Gate, according to an Ohio University Police Department crime alert.

After dropping her off, Canterbury called 911, identified himself and said he picked up a woman along state Route 682 and dropped her off at the corner of Court and Union streets.

“She is very, very inebriated,” Canterbury said in the call. “I tried to convince her to not just go wandering off, but her backside or lower leg or something is bleeding pretty heavy.”

The victim reported the rape to the Ohio University Police Department Sept. 15, stating she remembered being picked up on state Route 682 and that he had been dropped off at College Gate in the early morning hours of Sept. 10.

Canterbury was arrested in Ft. Bliss, Texas, where he was deployed with his National Guard Unit.

He was transported back to Ohio Oct. 11 and is currently being held at the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail on $200,000 bond.

Rape is a first-degree felony. Canterbury could be sentenced to a maximum of 20 years in prison and a maximum fine of $40,000 if convicted of both charges, according to the Ohio Revised Code.  

His arraignment is scheduled for Oct. 19 at the Athens County Court of Common Pleas.

ml147009@ohiou.edu