Brian Stelter

New York Times reporter to speak to journalism students today

Today, journalism students have an excuse not to sleep in and stay warm under the covers.

Brian Stelter, a journalist who reports on TV and digital media for The New York Times, is speaking at several journalism classes today.

“Brian Stelter is a really big deal,” said Bob Stewart, the director of the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism.

Stelter said he will speak about the fundamentals of The New York Times and of journalism itself. He also plans to explain how a journalist can earn a reader’s trust and how to market oneself through Twitter.

“Every day, we can earn and re-earn the trust of our audience,” Stelter said.

Stewart’s Journalism 101 class watched an advance screening of the film Page One: Inside The New York Times last month. Stelter was shown throughout the film alongside his colleague David Carr, who referred to Stelter as “a robot assembled in the basement of The New York Times designed to come and destroy him.”

While being interviewed, Stelter simultaneously checked Twitter on his computer and checked text messages on his cell phone, both of which were then interrupted by a CBS executive calling from London. Stelter repeatedly apologized and then took the call. His recently bitten fingernails ferociously typed on the black keys of his aluminum MacBook Air to quickly and accurately quote his source on the phone.

“I do like being connected most of the time,” Stelter said. “But it’s nice to be disconnected. I just couldn’t imagine not having the Internet, but then again, I also can’t imagine not having an off button.”

Many students, including Jessica Nath, a freshman studying journalism, are looking forward to Stelter’s visit.

“After seeing everything Brian Stelter has accomplished, it’s almost like meeting a celebrity, and I just can’t wait to hear what he has to say,” Nath said.

bc822010@ohiou.edu