OU alum earns berth in TV contest finals

Many students at Ohio University might dream of making it on the silver screen, but for 2008 OU alum Mike Seymour, that dream could soon become a reality.

Seymour is now a finalist for Columbus’ CW Star, an annual contest to see who will be the station’s new on-air personality. According to the station’s website, the winner receives the opportunity to work at the Columbus-based local television station for one year, gaining “unparalleled experience.”

The job also includes video blogging, previewing events in Columbus, making appearances at events, starring in commercials for the network and being an on-air personality.

Seymour has made it through the contest’s auditions and judging into the finals, when the station allows the public to cast their votes for their favorite new star.

“It’s very exciting, a huge opportunity to get on television,” Seymour said. “It’s unexpected.”

Seymour was also an assistant producer and website editor with WOUB, and graduated with an honors degree in adolescent to young-adult education.

Seymour said his time at WOUB gave him experience on and off camera that will be invaluable to the job as the CW Star, not to mention his comedic and enthusiastic personality.

As an OU student, Seymour was involved with Comedy for the Masses and performed regularly at Baker University Center’s Laughter After Dark as a member of Black Sheep, Inc.

“He was always ready to perform,” said Mike Reynolds, Seymour’s longtime friend and comedic partner at OU. “(It was a) great time to be on stage with him.”

The duo performed sketches and stand-up together. The most memorable sketch to Reynolds was one written by Seymour called “Spiderman, You’re a Loose Cannon!” In the sketch, Seymour plays a reckless Spiderman who is being reprimanded by Reynolds, a grizzled chief detective. In the end, Reynolds is forced to bring in Batman to replace Spiderman.

Following graduation, Seymour worked as a high school English teacher at Marion Harding High School in Marion, Ohio. He left the school last year, though, and has since been substitute teaching.

Reflecting on his time at OU, Seymour said his best advice is to take advantage of the opportunities Athens offers.

“Take every opportunity that comes across,” Seymour said. “There are a lot less outside of Athens.”

Voting for the CW Star contest is on the CW Columbus website

wh092010@ohiou.edu