OU officials foresee smooth Q2S transition for students

Ohio University administrators reported at the Student Senate general body meeting last night that they don’t believe any student will be disadvantaged by next fall’s switch to semesters.

Senate heard presentations from University College Dean David Descutner, quarters-to-semesters transition team co-leader Jeff Giesey, and OU Dean of Students Ryan Lombardi.

Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit was scheduled to speak at the meeting, which took place in Jefferson Hall as the senate’s first “destination” general body meeting but was unable to attend because of illness.

“Our goal is to provide accurate and coherent information in the Q2S transition in a timely fashion to those who request it.” Giesey said, adding that every student who will be enrolled during the switch should complete a Transition Degree Completion Plan.

“DARS won’t be used in transitioning. That’s why the TDCP is so important,” he added.

Under the new calendar system, each semester will feature 14 weeks of classes followed by one week of exams.

“Things will change on campus. We’ll be making sure there is a lot of programming on campus. I’m curious about the fests,” Lombardi said. 

Students in the middle of taking a course series will be offered transition courses. Giesey said the university is in the process of creating a simpler student transition guide, minors and certificates, advising information, and a financial-disadvantages mitigation process.

For more information on OU’s transition from quarters to semesters, visit www.ohio.edu/q2s.

After the meeting, senate members said they were happy with the result of their first destination meeting, though they added that they had been hoping for better turnout.

“I wished more students came. Our goal was to allow students better access and to find out better ways to get our name out. There is a lot to learn in these meetings. I learned a lot,” said Leah Hourihan, a West Green senator.

sf339111@ohiou.edu