PostEditorial: Fostering Diversity: Alumni can restore program for inner-city, Appalachian students

Ohio University offers two strong scholarship programs: the Urban Scholarship and the Appalachian Scholarship. Both reach out to students who might not consider OU as a choice for college or might not have the opportunity to attend college.

President Roderick McDavis started the Urban Scholarship in 2005 and the Appalachian Scholarship a year later. Both aim to make college more affordable for students in high-need areas.

We want to applaud President McDavis for reaching out to students in communities who would not otherwise have an option to attend a school like OU. Besides recruiting students to come to OU, the scholarships also publicize the university and give OU a good reputation in the region. The students who do receive the scholarship could help attract and retain other low-opportunity students to OU.

The scholarship program is a great recruiting tool that benefits both OU and the students. Scholarship opportunities for both sets of students are sparse. By offering these opportunities, OU helps attract an extremely diverse group to campus.

Having a diverse campus allows ample opportunities for any student. It also allows students to learn from their own friends and peers about different cultures, and it encourages interaction among the student body. Having a diverse campus adds value to students’ educations.

However, this year, only one scholarship from each program has been awarded compared to the 10 scholarships each program would ideally offer. These scholarships have been funded by one-time donations thus far, not self-renewing endowments.

Now, these funds are quickly drying up, and OU is unable to replenish the program. In order to continue giving high-achieving students from inner cities and Appalachia the chance to attend OU, we need donations from the alumni. 

By donating money toward the program, you will help pay for education for students who otherwise might not have had the opportunity. Alumni should show their support for a worthwhile cause that has nothing but positive intentions. Now is the time that, as fellow Bobcats, we can band together to create a better outcome for both our alma mater and future alumni.

Brian Bridges, provost for Diversity, Access and Equity, predicts that for the next few years there will still be a limited number of scholarships. Hopefully, an influx of donations will prove him wrong.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.