Soccer: 2001 MAC champions to receive recognition at 'Cats' Sunday game

The teams may be a decade apart, but the similarities are striking.

On Sunday, the Bobcats will see familiar faces in the stands with the 2001 Mid-American Conference championship team being recognized 10 years after winning the championship.

Ohio will take on rival Miami Friday at 4 p.m. and Bowling Green Sunday at 1 p.m.

Though years apart, coach Stacey Strauss said the similarities between the 2001 team to this year’s team are telling of this team’s potential.

“They all were fairly heavy on upperclassmen, a lot of seniors and a really good group in the sense that everyone was on the same page, and wanted the same things,” Strauss said. “Everyone was willing to give up the same things in order to achieve their goals.”

Not only are the teams alike in their mentality, strong flank play, crossing and a strong goalkeeper between the posts are also similarities.

Strauss said she expects nine to 12 players to be in attendance Sunday, in which the alumni will be honored at halftime.

Strauss said the advice the alumni would most likely give the current players, is to not let the four years slip away and focus more on the game than just what the coach thinks.

“Don’t try to play to the coaches, just play and be a team,” Strauss said. “Soccer is different from other sports in the sense that there are no time outs, and so the team really dictates the tempo, style and effort.”

For senior Rachael Philpot, coming out on the right foot this weekend to hold the top spot in the MAC East Division is huge.

“We are expecting to come out harder than ever. Miami is one of our biggest rivals so we’ve been waiting for this game,” Philpot said. “I think coming out strong defensively and then offensively burying every chance we get in the net because we have been having trouble with our shots.”

With the top spot in the East Division on the line, each game becomes the biggest game of the year, Strauss said.

The Bobcats return to Chessa Field after two weeks on the road in which the team brought home seven points, two wins and a tie, and first place in the MAC East.

“Any time we are fortunate enough to be at home on homecoming, I think that gives a little bit of extra incentive,” Strauss said. “Also having our players see former players and what they achieved should help motivate them as well.”

mb832409@ohiou.edu

UPNEXT

OHIO vs. Miami

4 p.m. Friday

Chessa Field

OHIO vs. Bowling Green

1 p.m. Sunday

Chessa Field