Ohio Forward Erin Schwenke passes away from a Miami defender Friday at Chessa Field. The Bobcats lost 2-1 in double overtime. (BRIEN VINCENT | For The Post)

Soccer: 'Veteran leadership' leads to weekend win

There are moments in a season when teams come together, and this weekend, the Bobcats united to notch another conference win.

In tough Mid-American Conference games against Miami Friday and Bowling Green Sunday, the Bobcats dealt with the circumstances presented in each game. On Friday, Ohio suffered a  double-overtime loss to rival Miami, 2-1. With the 1-0 lead from a Toye Famodu goal, the RedHawks tied the game with 10 seconds left in the game. Miami scored once more in overtime.

“I felt that we didn’t pressure all over the field today, and we didn’t pressure close enough. We allowed them the space to turn and put balls in behind us,” coach Stacy Strauss said. “That was the difference. That’s why they got several services in the late going, and that’s why they got the game winner.”

Late in the second half, goalkeeper Mattie Liston was involved in a collision and played through the rest of the game with an apparent injury. Though Liston finished the game Friday, freshman goalkeeper Nicole Amari started and played the entirety of Sunday’s game — earning her  first start and first shutout with Ohio’s 2-0 win against Bowling Green.

“It was exciting to get in the game. It was nerve-wracking at first, but as the game went on and with the help of the backline, I settled down,” Amari said.

Ohio scored first with Veronica Rock notching her first goal of the season and Famodu putting away her fifth of the season.  

“It certainly changed the momentum of the game. It gave us some life,” Rock said.

The team held together throughout the game, putting out an impressive performance despite having several key players out with injuries or being injured. Midfielder Sara Seitz and Liston both didn’t play, with Seitz out for the season now and Liston out for Sunday’s game.

Ohio lost Kim Nordtveit to injury and standout defender Paige Howard suffer a severe mouth injury. But veteran leadership stood out to put two goals in the net and to hold the shutout.

mb832409@ohiou.edu