Soccer: Westward wins push Bobcats to 3-1 in MAC

In a pair of conference games this weekend, the Bobcats used a pair of goals in each game to pick up a pair of wins.

Ohio defeated both Western Michigan and Northern Illinois by the score of 2-1 in a pair of Mid-American Conference games.

The critical victories pushed the Bobcats to 3-1 in MAC play. Last Sunday, the Bobcats fell to Central Michigan 3-0 in the second game of MAC Conference play and found themselves trying to rebound on the road.

“Six points on the road is the boost we needed,” Coach Stacy Strauss said. “We did what we needed to win. Friday we defended a very good offensive team. Sunday we found the gaps to exploit a solid defensive side.”

On Friday, Ohio fell behind against Western Michigan (5-6), but the Bobcats battled back in the second half with a 70th-minute equalizer off the foot of Toye Famodu.

Overtime ensued, and in the 94th minute, Kelsey Pichel’s corner kick curled into the goal untouched with help from the strong wind.

“We deserved to win,” Strauss said of Friday’s game. “Both teams benefited from the wind for one half.”

Following Friday’s win, the team used the day off watching video to prepare for Sunday’s contest at Northern Illinois.

Strauss said that the team was able to use the momentum from Friday’s game in the win against the Huskies.

Toye Famodu hit the back of the net for the second time during the weekend with a first-half goal to give the Bobcats the 1-0 lead.

Northern Illinois tied the game at one in the second half, but Erin Schwenke scored the go-ahead goal for the Bobcats in the next minute.

Despite earning six points on the road against MAC opponents, Strauss said she still sees areas where the team needs improvement, such as defending set pieces and keeping possession.

“I was very pleased this weekend,” Strauss said. “We are peaking as a team but now need to continue to improve with each game.”

Mb832409@ohiou.edu