Spirit tour uncovers Nelsonville's past

Friendly spirits will guide travelers through the history of Nelsonville tomorrow as the Nelsonville Main Street Organization presents “Nelsonville Spirits... Alive!”

“Historic places help define and distinguish our communities by building a strong sense of identity,” said Lynn Decker Garbo, Director of Nelsonville Main Street. “When you visit a historic site, you learn from their stories and help keep history alive and you discover great architecture.”

The tour, which will also serve as a fundraiser for Nelsonville Main Street Organization, is designed to help people recognize the significance of buildings in the downtown area and bring to light some of the history of Nelsonville, Garbo said.

“I wasn’t aware there was historical stuff in Nelsonville,” said Ben Eilers, a freshman studying political science and pre-law. “But this thing is good because it’s important to protect history.”

Tour guides will lead attendees around the Public Square and then to the Fort Street Cemetery. Interpretors will portray legends in Nelsonville history, such as George Stuart, founder of Stuart’s Opera House, 52 Public Square.

“My favorite thing about the event is being able to bring George Stuart back to life and tell his story,” said Bob Garbo, Lynn’s husband. “He loved to entertain people. ... He’s traveling all the way from Dew Cemetary to entertain you.”

Nelsonville Main Street’s goals, Lynn said, are to preserve the historic downtown of Nelsonville, attract new businesses and promote tourism.

Lynn said the idea for the “Nelsonville Spirits... Alive!” fundraiser came from a similar event last year that she learned about when having lunch with Karen Raymore, the Director of the Hocking Hills Visitors Bureau.

“She told me about Logan's Cemetery tour last year, which was a lot of fun and a great fundraiser,” Lynn said. “As I talked with other people, I heard great things about cemetery tours that other people had experienced in other towns. There are so many great stories that can be shared about Nelsonville’s history.”

There will be two tours beginning at 6 and 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and $5 for students and children. Tickets can also be purchased at the event for $12 for adults and $6 for students and children.    

eb104010@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What: “Nelsonville Spirits... Alive!”

When: 6 and 8 p.m. tomorrow

Where: Nelsonville Public Square

Admission: $12 adults, $6 students and children