Athens County Public Library Arts of Ohio show off their Balloon Dragon during the Homecoming parade Oct. 15, 2011. The parade capped a weekend of "Beyond the Bricks" events celebrating the university and its history. (KATHARINE EGLI | File)

Students, grads celebrate 207 years of OU

Ohio University alumni returned to the familiar red bricks of Athens this weekend for Homecoming 2011.

OU alumni, students and parents celebrated 207 years of university history and looked back at their own four years on campus with this weekend’s events, centered on the theme of “Beyond the Bricks.”

Several dozen student and local organizations traveled Uptown from East State Street for the Homecoming parade Saturday.

“I always enjoy coming back,” said Robert Leary, a 2010 alumnus who attended the parade.

Leary, a former Student Senate president who studied classics at OU, recently attended graduate school at the University of Pennsylvania and now works for Penn’s Office of Student Affairs.

“Everyone cares deeply for Athens and OU,” Leary said. “It is a great weekend to come back and see everyone.”

Dean of Students Ryan Lombardi attended many of the weekend events and said he considered this year’s Homecoming a success.

“People felt like they were home again when they get back to town; that feeling is so unique to Athens,” Lombardi said. “It’s a chance for us to celebrate OU’s alumni. These beautiful old buildings and streets — all of these people shaped it.”

More than 200 students and alumni attended the “Yell Like Hell” pep rally on the Walter Hall lawn Friday, during which seniors Harrison Hill and Faye Miller were crowned Homecoming King and Queen.

“Rock the Block,” a miniature street party offering a variety of beers and live music by Dave Rave and the pop/rock cover band Shallowtail, drew alumni and Athens residents to Court Street Friday night.

The university offered hayrides, tours and hot drinks Friday and Saturday at The Ridges.

“I found it interesting that the tour guide was trying to debunk many of the myths that surround the mental hospital,” said Katie Vitek, a 2007 graduate who studied education. “He actually emphasized the excellent mental health of many Ohioans. It was unexpected, but still a good time.”

About 25 alumni couples gathered together and renewed their vows Saturday at Galbreath Chapel during the “OH I dO” ceremony.

“The ceremony brought our family together, and not only did it show our love for each other, it also showed our kids our true love for Ohio University,” said Jeff Allen.

Allen and his wife, Valerie, just celebrated their 22nd wedding anniversary last week.

Alumna Danielle Neubauer attended the homecoming parade, football game and alumni brunch with her husband, Adam Neubauer, also an OU grad.

“It’s exciting to be back, even though we’ve been back a couple of times since we graduated,” said Danielle, who studied human biology and graduated from OU in 2011. She now works as a research assistant at the Louis Stokes Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Cleveland. “It’s good to see friends again.”

sf339111@ohiou.edu

Click here for the Slideshow