Provided

Touring Phantods rock 'n' roll into Athens

Although they wouldn’t say no to an offer from a record label, the Columbus-based Phantods are not letting the lack of a proposal prevent them from doing what they love.

“We will definitely continue to tour, write and release albums, to make new videos and reach as many people as we possibly can, with or without label support,” frontwoman Gretchen King said.

“But we would be thrilled to be on a label like ANTI- or Dangerbird Records and spread our music even farther,” she added.

Without the backing of a label, King said the Phantods have instead turned to their supporters and the Internet to create and promote their music, using YouTube and the talents of their friends.

“We’ve been lucky enough to have a bunch of incredibly talented friends who are just as passionate about getting involved with the Phantods as we are,” King said. “It really just becomes a matter of what song to use.”

The five-piece band will play a free show Saturday night at Casa Nueva, 4 W. State St., as it passes through town on its statewide tour. The group has played at the venue before, and King said it is looking forward to returning.

“We love playing college towns,” she said. “They’re full of people who support good music and a good time.”

King said that when the band plans its tours, it makes a point of stopping at universities because of its affection for the college crowd. She added that the band hopes to make Athens one of its regular stops.

“We are booking shows so that we will be visiting Athens quite a bit,” she said.

“We’re looking forward to making a lot of new friends and fans there.”

Self-described as a “dead wave” band by King, the Phantods have a similar sound to Metric, an Indie rock group from Montreal. King also said the group draws from influences such as Blondie, Devo, Faith No More and Johnny Cash.

“We’ve got new-wave influences but with a lot of minor chords and dark undertones,” King said. “We’re a female-fronted rock band with synth and a lot of energy.”

The Phantods’ 2009 self-titled LP charted the College Music Journal’s Top 200, and their most recent album, Creature, has landed in the Top 100.

de155710@ohiou.edu