Volleyball: Bobcats lose both weekend matches

Ohio found some zeroes in unusual places during this weekend’s road trip.

The Bobcats lost matches to Western Michigan and Northern Illinois in straight sets — they had not been swept since the match against Georgia Southern Sept. 16.

Sophomore outside hitter Lauren Wicinski not only leads her Huskies in kills and points, but she is leading the nation in kills per set and points per set.

Head Coach Ryan Theis said sometimes the best offense is a good defense, and that might have been a way to keep Wicinski from having a big game and would limit her swings.

She had 38 total attacks in the match but finished with 12 kills and a .132 hitting percentage.

While Katie Post was making her final trip to Dekalb as a Bobcat, Kelly Lamberti was making her first trip home with her team. Post said she hoped she would play “terrific” in the match, and both produced good offensive matches. Post finished with 10 kills, and Lamberti chipped in with 12 kills and added 11 digs.

“We had a good day Saturday,” Theis said. “We just didn’t have all the phases going at the same time. You need everything (against Northern Illinois).”

Ohio (15-9, 7-3 Mid-American Conference) surrendered three straight sets (19-25, 14-25, 19-25) to Western Michigan. Ohio was held to a  .156 hitting percentage and outside hitters Faith Robins and Chelsea Bilger had more errors than kills.

Bilger did not convert on many of her 22 total attacks, and Robins did not receive many sets, which contributed to their negative hitting percentages.            

Errors were a recurring problem for the Bobcats in the match. They committed 10 service errors in the first two sets.

Lamberti led all players in kills with 18 and had 10 digs for another double-double.

The Broncos hit  .343 for the match and had a balanced attack with  five players with six or more kills. Jessica Brown led the way with 13 kills for the Broncos.

The Bobcat defense is typically staunch, but it could not slow the Broncos’ offense and came away from the match with two total blocks.

“We had even less going on than we did on Saturday,” Theis said.

Lamberti notched her 12th double-double, giving her the most on the team.

The tough part of the Bobcats’ schedule is seemingly over as Ohio has not dropped a match to a MAC East foe.

Despite that, Theis said the team does not get to breathe a sigh of relief.

nr225008@ohiou.edu