Basketball: Ohio to compete for the first time in 2011/12 season

The Ohio basketball team will hit the court for the first time this season in an exhibition game against Mercyhurst tonight, and Bobcat fans will get their first glimpse of this season’s team.

With the NBA season in limbo, college basketball has never been more welcomed, and Athens will get its first taste of men’s hoop action tonight as Mercyhurst comes to town.

In typical exhibition-style protocol, most or all members of the Bobcat squad are expected to see playing time in the game.

The Lakers were 20-7 overall during the 2010-2011 and were chosen to finish fourth in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) this year.

The Bobcats finished 19-16 overall last year and made it to the CIT Quarterfinals, where East Tennessee State defeated them 82-73.

The Bobcats return three out of five starters, but most of the team will be anchored sophomores and juniors. Eleven of the 14 roster players are in their second or third year of eligibility.

Ohio was selected to finish third in the Mid-American Conference East Division in the conference’s preseason poll. Usual suspects Kent State and Akron are picked to finish above the Bobcats.

Bobcat point guard D.J. Cooper was selected to the Preseason All-MAC East Division Team, a feat he accomplished in 2010 as well.

The Bobcats open the regular-season campaign when Tennessee-Martin heads to the Convo Nov. 13.

pm312207@ohiou.edu