Election Day 2011: Preparation for today's polling began weeks ago

For employees of the Athens County Board of Elections, the weeks preceding Election Day might as well be dubbed their “March Madness.”

“Election season is our crunch time,” said Debbie Quivey, the Board’s director. “Candidates work hard campaigning, and we work hard counting the results.”

After working at the Athens County Board of Elections for 19 years, Quivey said she works hard to streamline the process as much as possible.

“We get more organized every year,” she said. “Every year, everything gets a little bit smoother.”

This year, for example, the board of elections consolidated 71 voter precincts into 56, allowing equipment, workers and money to be used more efficiently on Election Day, Quivey said.

“Almost every change we make not only helps us in the office, but it also makes things easier, smoother and faster for voters,” she said.

During the weeks before Election Day, the board hires two additional employees and current workers take on extra hours and work weekends to help with the busy season, Quivey said.

“You have to love it to do it,” she said. “Election gets in your blood here.”

Although this year’s election will likely have a smaller turnout because there are no gubernatorial or presidential races, Quivey said every election is important, and the office is using this year’s election to prepare for the presidential elections next year.

“We’re already preparing this year for next year,” said Quivey. “We think it’s gonna be huge, and we’re gonna be ready.”

rc348710@ohiou.edu