Ohio's Tom Whetsel rushes past an Ohio State player in pursuit of the puck Saturday in Bird Arena. The Bobcats won, 11-1. (BRIEN VINCENT | For The Post)

Hockey: Goals, brawls, a lot of profanity: Ohio beats Ohio State

When going into a series as a big favorite, sometimes, all a team can do to satisfy is win — and win big.

Ohio did just that this weekend, beating up on Division 2, in-state foe Ohio State by large margins to easily win hockey’s version of the battle of Ohio and push its record to 11-3-0 on the season. It was pure domination for more than 120 minutes as the Bobcats outscored the Buckeyes 21-3 and outshot them 106-28 throughout the two games.

“I’m happy with both nights in that we didn’t take our foot off the gas pedal. We played the full game,” coach Dan Morris said. “Because, a lot of time in games like this, you’ll slip.”

All that can be good and bad in hockey was on show in Friday night’s game as the Bobcats got a hat trick from Michael Schultz and blew out the Buckeyes 10-2.

After Ohio State scored the game’s opening goal, Ohio responded with nine unanswered for a resounding victory. The high point came late in the second period when all three players on Ohio’s fourth line — Jeremy Browning, Nate De La Torre and Jon Pietramala — scored just 57 seconds apart to give Ohio an unassailable 6-1 lead.

“All the lines had great chemistry offensively this weekend,” forward Tyler Pilmore said. “We expect everyone to produce and play great hockey every night, and it was great to see those guys get some offensive opportunities.”

The game then devolved into a slugfest. The third period saw two fights, three ejections and 84 penalty minutes as the Buckeyes became increasingly frustrated.

While the popular refrain “boys will be boys” echoed around Bird Arena, the chaos got scary late in the game when OSU’s Michael Wells took a run at Jake Warner, leaving the Ohio defenseman motionless on the ice for several moments before shakily returning to his feet.

“We watched it on video and it wasn’t that bad of a hit, but it was late” Morris said. “I don’t think (Warner) expected the hit to come from that direction, and you’ve got to expect that.

“It gets chippy and you get frustrated and I understand. Once in a while, hockey rears its ugly head.”

It was déjà vu all over again Saturday as the Bobcats picked up where they had left off the night before with an 11-1 win.

Zach Tisdale scored just 55 seconds into the first period as both he and Tom Whetsel tallied hat tricks. Pilmore also added two goals, and Schultz bagged another for his team-leading 14th goal of the season.

In a weekend full of stars, Morris singled out Schultz and Pilmore for not only their ability to light the lamp but also their leadership so far this season.

“I give them a lot of credit. Schultzy drives the guys and Tyler drives the guys,” Morris said. “They drive it with their play, and they expect the other guys to do the same, and when they don’t, they get them right back into line.”

Quick Stats:

Friday: OHIO 10 Ohio State 2

Bobcat goal scorers: Schultz (3), T. Pilmore (2), Agnew, Barbis, Browning, De La Torre, Pietramala

Saturday: OHIO 11 Ohio State 1

Bobcat goal scorers: Tisdale (3), Whetsel (3), Pilmore (2), Schultz, Pietramala, Browning

cd211209@ohiou.edu