Men's Basketball: Bobcats hang on to beat Skyhawks

After dominating the game for nearly 30 minutes, the Bobcats were outworked, and watched a 29-point lead nearly crumble, as they held on for the 74-65 win.

Ohio took a 40-21 lead into the half and extended that margin to 60-31 with 14:30 remaining in the second. From that point on, the Skyhawks outscored the Bobcats 34-14.

“It was obviously a tale of two different halves,” Ohio coach John Groce said. “In the first half, we imposed our will and we were the tougher team. In the second half, they were, and they did not quit playing.”

After a strong opening 20 minutes, Ohio saw declines in points, rebounds, second-chance points, points off turnovers and assists during the second half.

One stat that increased, however, was turnovers. After turning the ball over just twice in the opening half, the Bobcats had eight giveaways after halftime.

The stingy defense the Bobcats showed in the first half gave way to a much more lax unit in the second half, as they gave up more than double the number of points they allowed in the first half.

Despite the poor finish, Groce said there were a few of positives to take away from the game, one of which was the play of transfer guard Walter Offutt.

Though Ohio returned three starters from 2010, it was Offutt who had the biggest impact for the Bobcats.

The junior led all scorers with 17 points. Offutt played 29 minutes and also added three steals and four rebounds.

“It felt good to be out there and play with my teammates,” Offutt said. “It’s really fun to be a part of this team.”

Nine Ohio players recorded at least two points for the Bobcats. Ohio’s bench contributed 29 points, the majority of which came from junior Reggie Keely, who had 16.

Freshmen Stevie Taylor and TyQuane Goard each scored in their collegiate debut. Taylor had six points and three steals in 17 minutes of play and was able to spell starting point guard D.J. Cooper at times.

Cooper said there are some positives to playing with another point guard on the floor.

“I actually kind of like it. All of the attention is not on me,” Cooper said. “He makes plays just as well as I do. I just got to remember to play the two guard.”

Groce also said he was concerned by the number of fouls his team committedand was disappointed with the play of returning starter Ivo Baltic, who finished with six points and nine rebounds.

“I didn’t think he was great tonight,” Groce said. “He’s got to learn to play hard all the time. He can’t allow the offensive end to affect the defensive end. He wasn’t in a good rhythm.”

Following the win, Groce was already looking forward to Tuesday night’s contest against Lamar.

“I’m disappointed we didn’t play a 40-minute game, but I’m fully aware it’s Nov. 13 and we get another opportunity Tuesday night.” 

ro137807@ohiou.edu