Musical Ensembles to Hold Fall Choral Concert

On Sunday, the Singing Men of Ohio, Ohio University Women’s Chorale and Athens’ Children’s Choir will present the Ohio University Fall Choral Concert at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.

The concert will feature each of the ensembles as well as OU Women’s Chorale’s a capella group, Title XI, and the Singing Men of Ohio’s a capella group, Section 8.

The Singing Men of Ohio’s president, Kyle Raffel, a senior studying communication, described SMO as “an organization where individuals can escape the pressures of school, work, family, etc. It's a place where you can pursue a passion of yours while leaving all of your stresses at the door.”

Raffel has been the president of SMO for the past two years. SMO usually has three concerts a year, with the Fall Choral Concert being the first. Though Raffel was mum about what literature the group will be performing, he said he is confident that everyone will enjoy the show.

“Concerts have a wide array of music that changes each quarter,” he said. “There is something for everyone.”

Women’s Chorale will also be performing a variety of pieces at the concert. According to its website, Women’s Chorale is “an auditioned ensemble of 60 members that brings together talented students from diverse majors across the university.”

President Kristina Rowles, a senior studying music therapy, has been a member of Women’s Chorale for three years. She said she believes that Women’s Chorale serves as a learning opportunity on campus.

“I think that this gives women across the campus the opportunity to sing together, growing in the music that we perform,” she said. “It is an opportunity to make lifelong friends that you are able to sing with.”

The ensemble will perform various pieces at the concert including “O Nata Lux” and “Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day.” Rowles echoed Raffel’s sentiment that the concert will have something for everyone.

“This is an opportunity for OU students to hear a variety of music sung by their peers. The concerts are always an enjoyable time for all,“ she said.

ks574510@ohiou.edu

IF YOU GO:

WHAT: Ohio University Fall Choral Concert

WHEN: 4 p.m. Sunday

WHERE: Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium

ADMISSION: Free