New professor to put a twist on molecules and atoms

A new Ohio University professor of physics will demonstrate for students the manipulation of molecules and atoms in an enlightening and unconventional way on Thursday.

Saw-Wai Hla of the Department of Physics and Astronomy will be lecturing as a part of the New Professor Lecture series presented by the College of Arts and Sciences. In the series’s first lecture, his presentation, “Nanoscience: Playing with Atoms and Molecules” will take place in Room 242 of Baker University Center at 4:10 p.m.

Hla will use a special microscope to manipulate and “play” with the atoms and molecules one at a time for students.

He agreed that students who often have problems visualizing atoms and molecules because of their size could benefit from this hands-on demonstration.

“Most of time you never see these molecules directly with your own eyes. I'm going to show students how they really exist,” Hla said.

He said he hoped students will learn about atoms and molecules because of their existence in everyday life.

“I hope students learn a lot of things because atoms and molecules are the basic building blocks for life, materials and everything,” he said.

Linda Schoeppner of the College of Arts and Sciences said in an email that the college usually prepares for 50 – 75 people to attend the lectures. There will be two more presentations this year in the New Professor Lecture series, she said.

This lecture will also be streamed live on the Internet at http://streaming.cns.ohiou.edu/CAS/.

aw317609@ohiou.edu