Panel fills in 'fracking' holes for worried attendees

A panel discussion at Ohio University yesterday saw about 50 people gather to debate the possibility of hydraulic-fracture mining in Athens County — though, some attendees were not intimidated by the possibility.

The four panelists — attorney Elizabeth Paranhos; Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-92nd; OU geology professor Dina Lopez; and OU economics professor Ariaster Chimeli — answered students’ and residents’ questions regarding numerous “fracking” concerns.

Concerns about fracking’s economic feasibility for Athens sparked debate among attendees, especially Greg Nadon, chair of the OU geology department, who cited a “high economic risk” involved for drilling entities.

“These companies are not in business to lose money,” Nadon said.

Lopez focused on the geological side of fracking during her presentation, stating that one drilling pad can go down thousands of feet and in many different directions.

“We have to weigh the costs versus the benefits,” Chimeli said in regard to the positive and negative effects that a fracking boon would have on Athens County.

Chimeli argued that the boon would lead to economic hardship for Athens County in the long term.

Most of the jobs created probably would be for skilled workers who already work in the drilling industry, which would curb economic benefits for the county, he said.

“How do we become less dependent on (fossil fuels) in the long term and move towards a more resilient economy?” Chimeli said. “We have to know what our priorities are.”

Paranhos, an attorney for the Environmental Defense Fund, broke down the legal side of the fracking debate and argued that there is not enough regulation on fracking and its alleged effects on drinking water.

“There’s no question we have this huge domestic energy source,” Paranhos said. “The question is how do we develop it safely.”

Phillips addressed the political debate in Ohio surrounding fracking.

“In this political climate, it is beyond unlikely any Democratic bills will pass. … On a policy basis, I don’t think there is a way to stop this,” Phillips said.

Phillips said concerned residents should focus on education because the Kasich administration won’t work to regulate the fracking industry.

“I think there is an incredible need for more education … concerning oil and gas rights,” Phillips said.

dd195710@ohiou.edu