Precedent may bring hope to 'fracking' opponents

With the discovery of recent successful mining protests, local residents who have fought to prevent “fracking” from reaching Athens County may have a reason to be hopeful their opposition efforts will be successful.

Hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking,” is a process used to extract natural gas from impermeable rock formations and, because of its potential health risks, has sparked opposition from local residents and officials.

The Buckeye Forest Council, a grassroots organization dedicated to protection Ohio’s forests, released information today detailing a letter found by the council’s attorney, Nathan Johnson, that indicates letters submitted by concerned citizens can be effective methods of protest.

In 2008, the U.S. Forest Service withdrew its consent for oil- and gas-drilling rights in the Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia after the Bureau of Land Management received two letters of protest, according to the news release.

For drilling leases to be sold, consent must be given by the Forest Service (which has the surface rights) and the BLM (which has the mineral rights.)

For drilling leases to be sold for federal land, both the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management must provide their consent. The Forest Service has rights to activities on the surface of the land and the Bureau has the rights to the mineral rights below the surface.

Heather Cantino, an organizer of the original sale protest and Right the Wayne visit this week, the Athens Community, “including Ohio University, Athens County Commissioners, Burr Oak Water District, and various Athens City official bodies,” filed 34 letters of protest representing 48 local organizations.

Ohio University, Athens County Commissioners, the Burr Oak Water District and other Athens officials have all expressed their opposition to fracking in Athens County, said Heather Cantino, chair of the Buckeye Forest Council.

Cantino and others are hoping that, using the Monongahela Forest protest as a precedent, they can bring fracking in the Wayne National Forest to the attention of the Forest Service and convince them to withdraw their consent.

"We sincerely hope that the Forest Service will withdraw the recent authorization it gave (the Bureau of Land Management) to lease portions of the Wayne for oil and gas development,” Johnson said.

On Wednesday afternoon, the group will present over 1,000 letters and petition signatures to Wayne Officials at Wayne Headquarters at 2 p.m. presentation, according to the release. Local officials, business owners and residents have been invited to speak about their concerns with bringing fracking to Athens County.

@dd195710@ohiou.edu