Provost reveals top dean finalists

Howard Dewald discovered yesterday he might retain his spot at the top of Ohio University’s College of Arts and Sciences.

Dewald, the college’s interim dean, is one of three finalists announced yesterday for the permanent dean position.

The other two finalists are Robert Frank, associate dean for research and graduate studies for the McMicken College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Cincinnati, and Beate Schmittmann, professor and chair of the physics department at Virginia Tech University.

The finalists will be interviewed on campus this month.

“This is where we want to be at this point in our timeline,” said Ann Fidler, chief of staff to Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit. “We are on time and on track.”

Dewald began working at OU as a chemistry professor in 1986. He was named an associate dean in Arts and Sciences in 2002.

“I look forward to the opportunity … to become the next dean of the College of Arts and Sciences,” Dewald said.

Dewald has served as interim dean since July after former Dean Ben Ogles accepted a position as dean of the College of Family, Home and Social Sciences at Brigham Young University.

Dewald currently makes $130,000 as interim dean.

No salary has been set for the permanent dean position, Fidler said.

Frank has served as an interim and associate dean in the University of Cincinnati’s Graduate College. He has worked at the university since 1982.

He pointed to his efforts in diversity, research innovation and 16 years of administrative experience in the cover letter sent to the search committee.

“I am a strong believer in undergraduate research, and have been working to expand and enhance these opportunities with the college and university,” the letter states.

Schmittmann said her administrative experience, leadership philosophy and personal values make her a good candidate for the dean position.

She has worked at Virginia Tech University since 1990 and served as the physics department chair since 2006.

“The (dean’s) overarching goal must be to make the college an outstanding home for teaching, learning, and discovery, able to attract and retain the best students, faculty and staff,” her letter states.

Frank and Schmittmann’s interview dates have not yet been finalized, but Fidler said the provost’s goal is to have their campus visits concluded before Nov. 18. The candidates will participate in several meetings, and the university will hold a public forum for each one so staff, faculty and students can ask questions, Fidler added.

Dewald said his interviews would be Monday and Tuesday.

“Part of it will depend on the candidates and their schedules as well,” Fidler said. “I’m sure some of them are looking at other institutions as well.”

aw366209@ohiou.edu