Student Senate: Members green-light Bobcat Lane resolution in speedy meeting

Student Senate passed a resolution calling for the opening of Bobcat Lane at an otherwise brief meeting last night.

Senate sped up its pace so senators could attend Ohio University’s “blackout” football game, senate President Kyle Triplett said.

The opening of Bobcat Lane would allow drivers to reach Baker University Center from Richland Avenue. The idea was presented at last week’s meeting, and the majority of senators seemed to agree with it, Triplett said.

The Bobcat Lane resolution states that senate thinks the road would result in a more comparable volume between southbound and northbound Richland Avenue because the southbound traffic is much higher.

Mary Kate Gallagher, senate’s commissioner of city and county affairs, and the primary sponsor of the resolution presented senate with the number of car accidents that could have been avoided if Bobcat Lane were open.

This year, there have been 12 rear-end crashes, 11 angle crashes, commonly known as T-bones, and three sideswipes.

“I had to wait for 30 minutes to get out of Baker’s parking garage today,” she said.

Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl expressed at the senate-sponsored mayoral debate last Tuesday that he didn’t want Bobcat Lane to be opened because he wants Athens to be a “pedestrian city.”

“I think it’s pedestrian enough,” said Evan Ecos, the commissioner of residence life. “I think it’s kind of ridiculous not to open it.”

Although Wiehl disagrees, senate still wanted to make an effort, hoping that the resolution would bring the body a step closer to making a difference.

“Passing this resolution would be the first step, and I’m very happy with it,” Triplett said.

Senate passed another resolution proposing a change of rules by the Senate Appropriations Commission. The resolutions’ adopted the additions and modifications.

tl674710@ohiou.edu