Women's Basketball: Bobcats win low-scoring affair

Niagara Falls is the best-known landmark in Northwest New York, the home of Niagara University. Not unlike the waterfalls, Niagara fell on Tuesday at the Convocation Center by a score of 50-40.

The Bobcats made quick work of their opponents in the first half, strutting their way to a 21-12 lead heading into the half.

Once again, Ohio had problems early in the second half, allowing the Purple Eagles to claw their way back into the game. The Purple Eagles closed the margin to as low as six points with under ten minutes remaining in the half.

“Again, we ended up doing what we have done in previous games in the second half,” Ohio coach Semeka Randall said. “In the second half, we lost our momentum and started playing down to our competition.”

The Bobcats were ultimately led to victory behind equally impressive play on both ends of the floor.

Offensively, guard Tenishia Benson blazed the trail, shooting an impressive 6-for-7 from the floor while knocking down all but one of her foul shots in a 15-point performance.

Forward Porsha Harris and guard Shavon Robinson were second in command for the Bobcats, totaling eight points apiece.

Making Benson’s opportunities possible was a potent defensive blockade that recorded 18 steals on the night, a third of which were recorded by guard Kat Yelle. The Bobcats also forced Niagara to commit 27 turnovers, on which Ohio cashed in 23 points.

“I was just very impressed with how active we were and how determined we were. Hopefully we can continue to keep that going” Randall said.

The Bobcats were on the mark on 16 of their 49 tries from the floor, for nearly 33 percent. Niagara drained one more shot than Ohio, making 17 of 42, but was hurt in the free throw department. The Purple Eagles only went to the line four times as opposed to the Bobcats’ 20 trips, of which they converted 17.

“As a whole, our team did a tremendous job from the free throw line,” Randall said. “In the second half, we really focused and that allowed us to keep that cushion that we had. I’m really proud of them for going up there and knocking free throws down.”

The road will not get any easier from here for the Bobcats. They will face Oklahoma (4-3), which has received votes in both the Associated Press and coaches polls, Sunday in Las Vegas before playing Xavier (3-5) and Syracuse (7-3) over the following two days in the same venue.

“This is always a tough time for a team, around this time of year,” Randall said.

“We’re going to try hard to get it back these next three games in a different environment up in Vegas, enjoying the college experience.”

jr992810@ohiou.edu